Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Geranium Climbers by Nancy Medina

Geranium Climbers by Nancy Medina
24X12
Palette Knife on Canvas

Nancy Medina Art Blog
Nancy Medina Web Site

Geranium Climbers is a palette knife painting with very thick texture. It always surprises me a bit when I pick up a palette knife canvas from my stacks in the studio. The paint is heavy! The thing I love most about palette knife painting is it forces you to loosen up your style a bit. Years of painting with the knife also taught me to paint faster, sculpting quickly and "under" mixing the colors on the palette in order to get more interesting colors on the canvas. I use the knife minimally now, usually in the final bits of highlights on my paintings. There are some signature OPA members who use the knife almost regularly at this stage of their work, you might be surprised to learn who they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...