Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Skyscape series #1 of 100 by BECKY JOY

This is #1 of a series of 100. 5x7 oil on canvas for sale for $110 includes shipping and a small black wrought iron display easel. To purchase click here.

I have considered concentrating more on skies. I've know for several years that that is one of my strengths, but I found myself often painting similar paintings. So I've decided to stretch my wings by working on skies exploring color and compositions. I will be doing a series of 100 daily paintings that will all be primarily skies. Today is the beginning. 

I painted this primarily violet painting with just a little yellow and warm cad red light in the light of the clouds. I was able to get many subtle shades of violet and having just a small amount of the yellow really contrasts with those violets. So, there will be 99 skies to come.


This is an 18x24 that I painted last night on Ustream. I used one of my daily farm scenes as the composition, but changed the color and lighting to a sunset. I thought I would let you know my basic palette of colors.
I use a very traditional warm/cool palette of titanium white, cad lemon yellow, cad yellow light, cad red light, alizarine, cerulean blue and ultramarine blue. Additionally, I use dioxazene purple, cad orange and sap green in almost every painting. I also like and sometimes use, quinacridone rose (sparingly), permanent green light and mars orange. I do have an array of other colors that I will occasionally use, but these are the most common colors on my palette.

On ustream I also talked about opposites, the yin and yang of painting. I wrote a list of them on a previous blog. To see that list click here.

I think the ustream broadcast went well last night and I will be back on next Tues at 4pm PDT. Hope to see you.

BECKY JOY
http://beckyjoyartist.blogspot.com
www.beckyjoy.com
beckyjoy@beckyjoy.com
Prints
Cards

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love receiving comments about our posts! Thank you for leaving us a comment - have a wonderful day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...